KaniKama is the Japanese term for imitation crab meat, most commonly used when making California Rolls in Sushi restaurants. I’ve always preferred using KaniKama when I make seafood macaroni salad; even when I was living in the Philippines, since it is easy to prepare, budget friendly and lasts longer in the refrigerator.
This is a simple and money saving base recipe that you can make in a pinch.
- Add your own spices, herbs, fruit and vegetables according to taste
- For al dente/firm macaroni: Cook/Boil macaroni at minimum suggested time per package instructions
Macaroni KaniKama Macaroni Salad
2 packs thinly sliced imitation crab meat (I bought whole pieces but also available pre-cut )
5 thinly sliced celery stalks
1/2 medium size onion, finely chopped
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
1. Cook elbow macaroni per package instructions, drain and cool
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well
3. Add salt and pepper to taste
4. Cover and Refrigerate for at least an hour and serve cold
Saving money is a big deal to me. I always try to make dishes that are delicious, easy to make, and budget savvy. I also jump at the chance to buy things on sale, and the best of all is when items or activities are free!
Here’s a great tip on how to get free movie tickets for advanced screenings (plus other links for money saving tips!)