This 5 minute microwave ube cake recipe is born out of necessity. I am writing this post as I visit my childhood home in the Philippines where the kitchen is equipped with everything one would need to cook a Filipino feast but lack in baking essentials.
I’m not gonna lie, even if there’s a complete set of baking tools and equipment, baking would still be the last activity I’d do. The tropical heat here has been relentless and exhausting. But cake we shall have! Ube usually wins the top spot flavor when creating a recipe. I love it because the taste brings back family dinners, pasalubongs, and road trips.
What do I need to make 5 minute microwave ube cake?
- round or rectangle microwavable container with 4 inch sides (you can use microwavable take out containers)
- eggs, all purpose flour, butter, baking soda, baking powder, sugar
- ube flavoring – buy it here
*as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you
What I love about this cake it’s mellow sweet flavor, quick and easy to make and light in texture. That’s a a lot of points for an ube cake that’s cooked in the microwave.
How do I decorate this cake?
What I did was decorate the cake with buttercream, Ube Jam, cake crumbs, and arrowroot cookies (uraro). It sounds like a lot but it’s very simple. The Ube Jam is homemade but you can buy this at an asian grocery store or here (Amazon). The buttercream is 1/2 recipe from Cupcake Savvy Kitchen No Grit Silky Smooth Buttercream.
5 Minute Microwave Ube Cake
- 1 round or rectangle microwavable container with about 4 inch sides
- 1 set of measuring cups and spoons
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 parchment paper cut to size (see instructions below)
- 2 spatulas
- 1 whisk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 teasooons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large egg
- 3 teaspoons ube flavoring
Prepare microwavable cake mold
- Cut parchment to size so it fits the bottom of the mold
- Lightly grease the bottom of the mold and put the parchment in mold
- optional: just in case there's grease on the side of the mold, lightly dust sides with flour
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Combine all ingredients with a whisk
- Add wet ingredients slowly
- Mix until all the ingredients are combined, do not overmix
- Pour cake batter in mold and microwave for 3 minutes
- Check the cake (no raw batter on top) and microwave for another 2 minutes, test cake and cook for another 1-2 minutes if necessary ( do not overcook)
- Test the cake by inserting a toothpick in the middle, tester should come out clean with a few crumbs on it
- Decorate cake
Want another quick and easy ube recipe? Here’s one for Ube Pancakes