This recipe is for anyone who wants a new take on how cook riced vegetables. A 12 oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice was enough for two hearty eaters (us) when protein was added to the dish. We found out that Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken and Sausage is a satisfying and delicious meal. Now, we’d like to share the recipe with you. Enjoy!
Who would’ve thought that I’d be cooking Cauliflower Rice on a regular basis. I’m a Filipino, we eat rice and lots of it. In truth, I can’t be around my motherland’s staple of delicious pillowy grains all the time. Rice turns me into a monster (like Cookie monster) – nom, nom, nom, nom – opaque granules flying everywhere with each bite. Sure, the last part was a bit of an exaggeration but still, I love that good stuff.
Frozen or not?
Our food processor worked overtime when we initially made the switch to Cauliflower Rice. Though it’s still best to use fresh ingredients, I find that time and cleanup was just too inconvenient. We realized that frozen packs from the grocery store are fairly cheap as long as we didin’t eat the riced vegetable on a daily basis.
My Tita, tired of eating plain granulated cauliflower, asked me to write a recipe using Cauliflower Rice. I get it. Most Filipinos that need to be mindful of their sugar/carb count still want the experience of eating rice with their Filipino Food. Unfortunately, the taste between the grain and the vegetable is like night and day. It simply is not satisfying for us when we tried to mimic a Filipino meal with plain riced cauliflower.
Tips on how to cook Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken and Sausage:
- Let the water/moisture steam out; the consistency will be closer to grained rice if the cauliflower “dries” out
- The granules are more tender the longer it cooks; adjust cooking time according to preferred texture
- Leftover rotisserie chicken is a flavorful add-on when cooking cauliflower rice
- If using plain cooked chicken breast, cut into cubes and season with preferred spices, chill for at least 15 minutes
More low carb options? Try Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipe Meatballs recipe.
Chicken and Sausage Cauliflower Fried Rice
This recipe is a delicious and satisfying alternative to fried rice (grain).
- 1-2 tablespoons oil (less if non stick pan)
- 1/4 cup onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons sliced red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 cup Sausage (sliced diagonally)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed into small pieces)
- 1 12 oz (340 grams) frozen Cauliflower Rice
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- salt to according to taste
- Heat oil in a pan on medium low heat
- Sauteé onions until translucent and tender
- Add garlic and sauteé for 1 minute
- Add bell pepper cook for about 1 minute
- Add Sausage and fry until cooked
- Add Chicken and mix with other ingredients
- Mix in the Cauliflower Rice
- Cook for about 15 minutes, mix occasionally
- Mix in the Green Peas and continue cooking for 10 minutes
- Add soy sauce, pepper, and sesame oil
- Mix until spices are combined well, cook for 5 minutes
- Salt according to taste