Important Note: The recipe below is ONLY for the cake. You can pick whatever frosting you’d like as long as it is light and mildly sweet to avoid overpowering the flavor of the cake.
This Easy Ube Cake Recipe is for the non-bakers, the small city residents without a Filipino bakery, and people who don’t have much time but still want some good ole’ pinoy sweet Ube Cake. Now, it might not be as good as Nanay’s or Lola’s but I tell you, this Ube cake will be your own. You’ll take it to parties, bake it with your kids, and bake it for special occasions.
Any American brand white or yellow Cake Mix can used for this recipe to make it easier for the amateur baker. The result is a cake that’s sweeter in flavor with a denser texture compared to the Filipino version.
Don’t panic if you don’t know how to make frosting from scratch! Read this:
The easiest and fastest way to bake and serve this cake is to use store bought whipped cream. Bake the cake, leave it to cool, then spread that whipped cream like you milked the cow yourself. Own it.
Recommended frosting for Easy Ube Cake – Purple Yam Cake
- Whipped Cream
- Cream Cheese Frosting
For this cake, I used Handle the Heat’s awesome Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe with less sugar ( 1 cup instead of 1 1/4 cup).
Tips for Easy Ube Cake – Purple Yam Cake
- Use parchment paper for the bottom of the cake pan
- Wait for cake to cool before flipping cake on to a plate
- Wait for cake to cool before frosting to prevent melting
- Hand Mixer
- Large Bowl
- Two 8 inch round cake pans
- Parchment Paper
Easy Ube Cake -Purple Yam Cake
An easy Ube Cake recipe for amateur bakers or for people who want to save time in the kitchen. This easy Ube Cake – Purple Yam Cake is sweeter in flavor with a denser texture compared to the Filipino version.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 29
- Total Time: 39
- Yield: 10
- Trace 2 cake pan circles on parchment and cut
- Lightly grease bottom of cake pan with cooking spray
- Place parchment on bottom of cake pan
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter until light and fluffy
- Add Ube Jam, Violet color, and Ube extract
- Add egg one at a time and mix gently (do not overwhip)
- Add cake mix
- Fold in mixture gently until combined
- Adjust violet color to preference
- Pour cake batter evenly on cake pans
- Bake for 25 to 29 or until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool and top with frosting and macapuno or toasted coconut
Cake is done when a cake tester (toothpick, knife, or fork) comes out clean when cake is pierced in the middle.
Like this recipe? Try Easy Ube Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Icing