This Kumquat Marmalade Pie recipe makes use of homemade Marmalade as seen here.
There was a mix of mix of excitement and curiosity upon receiving a box of Kumquats from my Aunt in California. It was exciting to have orangey pieces of sunny California days during the Virginia’s cold snap. I was also curious to find out what could be created from this often ignored citrus fruit. Pies, tarts and cheesecakes flavored with lime, lemon, and orange are so popular. Why not Kumquats?
What do Kumquats taste like?
- Skin – eaten as a snack, sweet to mildly bittersweet
- Juice – very tart
- Pulp – bitter
Creating Kumquat Marmalade Pie
I initially thought to use Kumquat juice for the pie filling, however, the juice was so tart that I couldn’t taste the sweetness of the fruit. Prep work for Kumquats takes time which I thought was better spent on making marmalade and nothing else. If a pie filling was made from fresh Kumquats, one would have to prep the fruit much like in a marmalade. When I realized this, it only made sense to use Kumquat marmalade as an ingredient for the pie.
This pie has a light filling that’s sweet, mildly tangy, and with subtle bitter flavors.
Kumquat Marmalade Pie
For Base of Pie:
- 12 " Pre baked Pie Crust
- Kumquat Marmalade
- 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Kumquat Marmalade
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Spread Kumquat Marmalade on the bottom of the pie crust
- Set aside
- Dilute cornstarch in 1/2 cup water, set aside
- Add ingredients for the Filling in a pot
- Mix well
- Adjust flavor according to taste (cinnamon, sugar, marmalade, etc.)
- Bring to a boil over medium heat
- Pour in the cornstarch mixture and mix well, remove from heat
- Mixture should thicken right away
- Pour filling in pie crust
- Smoothen the top of pie with spoon or spatula
- Cool in refrigerator
- Decorate before serving (optional)
Like this Recipe? Here’s an Easy Kumquat Ginger Cake by Molly @ Easy Cooking with Molly.
You can find the recipe for Candied Kumquat Flowers by theKitchn here
Leave a Reply