My co-workers were so excited when I told them that I made Leche Flan Angel Food Cake. Little did they know that I was crossing my fingers that it wasn’t a flop. It’s my first attempt at baking a flan cake and instead of cutting a piece to try it out, I decided to just take the whole tray to work. Everyone loved it.
First, let’s talk sugar. Be careful when making caramel for the flan. Sugar when heated turns into a thick molten liquid, also known as caramel, which is about 310 to 330 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid skin contact with caramel because it will cause a severe burn.
There are two layers for this Leche Flan Angel Food Cake. The first is Leche Flan or the custard layer. I have a slammingly delicious flan recipe here. The second cake layer is usually a chiffon cake but I used angel food cake instead.
Since I always make my leche flan from egg yolks, what do I do with the rest of the egg whites? If I use a chiffon cake recipe using whole eggs, I’d end up using more eggs for just one recipe. It’s too wasteful. My solution is to use the yolks for the flan, the egg whites for the cake.
- This recipe = 6 eggs
- Other recipes = about 7 to 11 eggs
An egg white cake is also known as Angel Food. The recipe is known to be fussy, delicate, and high maintenance. It might seem intimidating but baking angel food cake just requires knowing the right baking technique.
The light and fluffy second layer of this Leche Flan Angel Food Cake is from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Here is a link on how to make Perfect Angel Food Cake.
Steps in making Leche Flan Angel Food Cake
- The first step to creating this recipe is to make caramel for the flan. Be careful when handling melted sugar to prevent burns.
- The first layer consists of the creamy and luscious Leche Flan.
- The second layer is made up of the light and airy Angel Food Cake
- The last step is to bake the cake. A water bath is required for even cooking and to prevent the flan from cracking. Be careful when taking out the water bath from the oven to prevent burns.
What is a water bath?
A large pan filled part way with water that can fit another baking pan. It must be large enough for a smaller baking pan to be surrounded by water. Fill the large baking pan with water up to 1/2 in height of the smaller baking pan before baking.Print
Leche Flan Angel Food Cake
A 2 layer dessert made up of flan and angel food cake. This recipe uses only 6 eggs. The yolks are used for the flan and the egg whites are used for the cake.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 70
- Yield: serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Cake
- Cuisine: Filipino
Ingredients for Caramel
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients for Flan
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Ingredients for Angel Food Cake
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Instructions for Caramel
- Add sugar and water in a pot, do not mix
- Genty tip the pot to moisten the sugar
- Bring to a boil until light amber in color (about 5-7 minutes)
- Remove from heat and carefully pour into baking pan
- With tongs or a thick oven mit, tip pan to evenly spread caramel
- Set aside to cool and harden
Instructions for Flan
- Place egg yolks in a bowl and stir gently to break yolks
- Add evaporated milk and stir gently until combined
- Add condensed milk and stir gently until combined
- Add sugar, continue stirring gently until thick yolk is incorporated in the mixture
- Pour over cooled caramel in baking pan
- Set aside
Instructions for Angel Food Cake Layer
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Make superfine (powdery) sugar by pulsing granulated sugar in a food processor
- Set aside 1/2 cup superfine sugar, leave the rest of the sugar in the food processor
- Add cake flour and salt in the food processor, pulse about 7-10 times
- Attach whip to mixer and ready mixer bowl
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium low setting until foamy
- Increase speed to high and gradually add 1/2 cup of superfine sugar
- Whip until medium peak stage
- Detach bowl from mixer, prepare sifter and flour mixture
- Flour mixture will be sifted into the egg whites in three additions
- Fold very slowly and gently in between additions to prevent deflating the meringue
- Batter should be light, foamy, and like whipped cream
- Gently distribute batter over leche flan layer – batter will float over flan
Instructions for Leche Flan Angel Food Cake
- Carefully place baking pan in a water bath
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Remove carefully and set on an even surface
- Take out pan carefully and put over a rack to cool
- Once cooled, loosen sides of cake with a butter knife
- Place a large plate or cookie sheet over the pan
- Invert the plate/sheet and pan over
- Tap bottom of pan lightly until cake drops from pan
- Serve alone or with whipped cream and berries
Be careful when making caramel for the flan. Sugar when heated turns into a thick molten liquid, also known as caramel, which is about 310 to 330 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid skin contact with caramel because it will cause a severe burn. A water bath is required to bake the cake for even cooking and to prevent the flan from cracking. Be careful when taking out the water bath from the oven to prevent burns.
Keywords: Leche Flan Angel Food Cake