Hi, let me introduce you to a delicious Filipino Food concoction called Maja Blanca (Ma-ha Blahnca). A sweet jiggly-wiggly dessert that’s mildly sweet and delicately flavored with the nutty goodness of coconut milk. But wait, theres more. This No Bake Coconut Milk Pudding is not just about soft pillows of goodness. The sweet corn kernels mixed in with the pudding lend a satisfying pop to every bite.
Question: Is it a custard, a pudding, or flan?
In truth, Maja Blanca’s texture is closer to a custard or even a flan. It is firm and holds its form, but the texture is soft and creamy. However, the word “pudding” appears to be the appropriate english term for Maja Blanca since the recipe doesn’t require the use of eggs like flan and custard do.
Other names for Maja Blanca/No Bake Coconut Milk Pudding could be:
- Eggless Coconut Milk Custard
- Eggless Coconut Milk Flan
Here are other reasons why Maja Blanca is awesome:
- Gluten Free
- Egg Free
- No Bake
- Easy to Make
Another cool ingredient used as a topping for the Maja Blanca is called Latik (Lah-tik). Latik is the delicious result of reducing coconut milk or coconut cream until the oil and solids separate. The crumbly solidified coconut cream is separated from the oil and used as a topping. The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour of your patience and time. If you don’t have these, then your best option would be to serve the No Bake Coconut Milk Pudding plain or make Toasted Shredded Coconut. Either way, it will still be delicious.
You can find instructions on How to Toast Shredded Coconut here.
The Maja Blanca recipe I use is from Bebs at Foxy Folksy with slight modifications. I dissolve the cornstarch with water from the canned sweet corn instead of milk. Also, the topping I used is Latik instead of Toasted Shredded Coconut. I like that Foxy Folksy’s Maja Blanca recipe doesn’t have additional sugar. To quote Bebs: “I really try and lessen the sugar in all my recipes.” You can find her Maja Blanca recipe here.
Are you vegan? Try RG Enriquez of ASTIG Vegan’s recipe here.
Helpful Measurements for Maja Blanca:
Maja Blanca – Easy No Bake Coconut Milk Pudding
Maja Blanca is a coconut milk flavored Filipino Dessert. It’s delicious, no bake, easy to make, gluten free, and egg free.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 16 squares
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1 can Coconut Milk (13.5 – 14 ounces)
- 1 can Evaporated Milk (12 ounces)
- 1 can Condensed Milk (14 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels – drain water into a bowl or large measuring cup
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water from canned corn
- 1 can of Coconut Cream (13.5 – 14 ounces)
Instructions for Maja Blanca
- Grease bottom and sides of 8×8 square baking pan with butter, set aside
- Dissolve Cornstarch in corn water in a bowl and set aside
- Mix Coconut Milk, Evaporated Milk, and Condensed Milk in a pot
- Bring to a boil on medium heat
- Stir occasionally to prevent milk from burning at the bottom
- Once it boils, mix in the sweet corn
- Add in the dissolved cornstarch and mix constantly
- Pudding will thicken right away
- Remove from heat and pour mixture in greased baking pan
- Leave to cool and set for at least 2 hours
- Pour Coconut Cream into non stick pan
- Bring coconut cream to a boil
- Simmer on medium heat
- Mix/Stir occassionally
- Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour
- Oil and solids will separate
- Latik will form into golden brown crumbs/solids
- Remove from heat
- Drain Oil (optional)
- Use as topping for Maja Blanca or other desserts
- 1 can Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream = 1 and 2/3 cup = 13.5 to 14 ounces
- 1 can Evaporated Milk = 1 and 1/2 cup = 12 ounces
- 1 can Condensed Milk = 1 cup = 14 ounces
Keywords: Maja Blanca Easy No Bake Coconut Milk Pudding