“Ideas are driven by a single impulse: to be made manifest” – Elizabeth Gilbert (Big Magic)
The quote above spoke volumes to me, and the line would pop up in my head each time I had an idea. I was washing dishes one day when I looked over toward my storage containers. Sitting inside my clear containers were a pack of chia seeds and shredded coconut. You would think the chia and coconut had their “arms” around each other’s shoulders, looking up at me with a smile, a wave, and a wink. A recipe idea popped in my head, and it soon manifested as No Bake Chocolate Coconut Chia Bites.
I took out my recipe notebook, measured, mixed ingredients, and wrote. When it was done, I walked in our bedroom where Andy was reading. I had four small chia balls in a saucer and I wanted him to try it and he liked it! Now, I’ve made more of these delicious Chia bites to share the recipe with you.
I’ve modified desserts into healthier options because my sugary addict self will eat it all! The last time I made double fudge brownies, well… let’s say they did not last at all. So yes, the guilt, the love, the passion I have for sweet stuff can have it’s own series of soap operas. No kidding.
There was phase in my kitchen experiments when I wanted to use new ingredients such as Teff and Chia seeds. Chocolate has been the running theme in these experiments just like my recipe for Chocolate Teff Porridge seen here. The Chia bites I’m featuring today are made of toasted coconut, coconut cream, chocolate mix and chia seeds.
You can find How to Toast Shredded Coconut here.
Tips to keep in mind when making No Bake Chocolate Coconut Chia Bites:
- Use sugar, honey, maple syrup or agave to sweeten the Chia Bites according to taste
- Sugar sprinkled over Chia bites will dissolve once stored resulting in Chia bites in sugar syrup
- Store Chia Bites in a sealed container, keep for 3-4 days
No Bake Chocolate Coconut Chia Bites
- 3/4 cup sweetened cocoa mix
- 1/2 cup Chia Seeds
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut (toasted)
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Sift Sweetened Cocoa Mix and Sugar into a mixing bowl
- Add Chia Seeds
- Add Toasted Shredded Coconut
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly
- Add Coconut Cream and Water
- Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes
- Roll about 1 1/2 tablespoon of Chocolate Coconut Chia mixture into a ball
- Place on a cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes
- Store in a a sealed container