(This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission when you make a purchase using my link.)
This easy simple white cake – one layer cake is my new go to recipe. It’s quick, tasty, and versatile.
I frosted the cake with luscious Yema and decorated with fresh grapes and berries. Yema is a Filipino style dulce de leche made of egg yolks and condensed milk. It’s an easy recipe that pairs deliciously well with a simple white cake.
You can find how to make Yema Frosting here.
Tips for Simple White Cake
- All ingredients should be at room temperature
- This recipe uses a 9 inch cake pan
- Line bottom of cake pan with parchment cut to size
- Use a hand mixer for a fluffier cake
- If no hand mixer is available, use a whisk for butter, sugar and egg
- Switch to a spatula for the dry ingredients
Add flavors/extracts to make your cake pop!
I’ve included links below where you can get some flavorings/extracts as well as tools to use for this recipe.
Note: as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. thanks!
- Vanilla (1 teaspoon)
- Lime Juice (1 teaspoon)
- Lemon Juice (1 teaspoon)
- Coconut Extract (1 teaspoon) available here
- Purple Yam Extract (1 teaspoon) available here
Decorate a simple one layer cake
- Yema or Filipino style Dulce de Leche
- Coconut Cream Frosting
- Powdered sugar and berries
- Whipped Cream and Chocolate (morsels or shavings)
- Chocolate Ganache and Cherries
- Fruit Jams or Jellies
Want to decorate with flowers? Karlee’s beautiful website teaches you how at Olive and Artisan.
Start with flour – end with flour and don’t overmix.
Creaming Method for cakes
- Dry ingredients are sifted and set aside
- Butter and sugar is creamed until light and fluffy with a mixer
- Add egg and flavoring, mix until fluffy
- Follow with a small part of flour, fold to combine
- Add a small part of liquid, fold to combine
- Alternate between the two, end with flour
- Mix just enough until no traces of flour is seen
Simple White Cake – one layer cake recipe
A quick, tasty, and versatile white cake recipe.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 8 slices
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease bottom and side of 9 inch cake pan with oil
- Line bottom with parchment
- Flour the bottom and sides of cake pan, set aside
- Sift dry ingredients for cake together and set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Whisk each egg until fully combined
- Add a small portion of flour mixture and fold to combine
- Drizzle small amount of milk, then fold to combine
- Continue alternating, ending with flour mixture
- Pour batter into cake pan
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean
Double the recipe for a two layer cake
Keywords: simple white cake recipe, easy white cake recipe, one layer cake recipe