These purple yam brownies are the easiest to make. Just put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix to create a fudge-y, dense, and rich brownie.
Are these Ube Brownies?
You can make them into Ube Brownies if you want to. I actually mixed in a few teaspoons of ube flavoring to the recipe because I was missing the flavor but it’s optional.
I have Ube, can I use that?
Absolutely! You can substitute the Okinawan Purple Yam that I use in this recipe with actual Ube. If you’re wondering why I didn’t use mashed Ube in the first place. Well, I simply don’t have any.
What is the difference between Purple Yam and Ube anyway?
Purple root crops are easily confused with each other because of their color but they differ in flavor. The difference between purple crops (potatoes and yams) can get technical. For those of you actually reading this text and have not “jumped to recipe” might also be avid gardeners so I’m including a link below for you to learn more about purple yam and ube.
Are these fudge brownies?
Yes. These brownies are densely rich and fudge-y. Baking purists might be annoyed with this recipe since I did not cream the butter and sugar first. My apologies! It is a good recipe that you can modify according to your technique and taste. If you’d like a fluffier brownie, just cream the butter, sugar, and mashed yam together first before mixing in the rest of the ingredients.
White Chocolate Purple Yam Brownies
- 1 3/4 cup mashed purple yam
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons ube extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Spread brownies batter evenly on a 7×11 greased baking pan, set aside
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave, mix every 10 seconds until fully melted
- Put dollops of white chocolate over brownies
- Swirl with spoon or spatula, don't over swirl to prevent chocolate from mixing with batter
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 22 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean
- Cool brownies before cutting evenly into squares
Want to know more about Purple Yam and Ube? Click here.